I have always loved etiquette. When we were little, my sister and I both did cotillion and something called promenade where we had to learn good manners (and how to dance)! I adored every minute. So, when a friend recently had a status update on her Facebook page about her desire for people to keep their comments to themselves as they related to her looking tired, sick or oh-so-pregnant, I decided I should post about pregnancy etiquette! Here is my short list of what to say and not say as it relates to pregnant (or not so pregnant) ladies. Feel free to comment and add your own.
1. NEVER EVER ask a woman if she is pregnant. Even if she looks clearly pregnant to you, wait for her to mention it. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
2. If she IS pregnant, don’t say something like, “Wow, are you sure you are not having twins?”
3. Also don’t say, “You look so sick/tired/swollen/overweight.” Really any adjectives other than beautiful and glowing are not needed.
4. Never inquire about how much weight she has gained.
5. Unless you are related, even if she is pregnant, never tell a woman an outfit makes her look pregnant.
6. If a pregnant lady needs a seat or a hand, give it to her.
7. If a pregnant lady tells you what she plans to name her baby, do not make ANY negative comments or facial expressions, even if it is the most ridiculous name you have ever heard.
8. Don’t tell your pregnant friends, neighbors or strangers every or any pregnancy horror stories you know. The world is scary enough.
9. Don’t go on and on about how kids ruin a marriage or take away all freedom. The truth is, having a baby can be very romantic and there is something called a baby sitter.
10. You really don’t have to give unsolicited parenting advice. If she wants your opinion, she will ask.